Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Retro Blog: Autumn & Anticipation




It is definitely that time of year. The leaves are changing. The nights are getting cooler. The frogs of summer have given way to the crickets of autumn. You can go outside and look up into the twilight sky and see clouds illuminated, backlit by the already fallen sun. And then of course there’s football.
My Grandma, who is now living with my amazing wife and I, asked us the other day why she heard my girl screaming from the bedroom, “THROW THE DAMN BALL!!!” Sometimes all you can do is smile.
And remember that bedroom noises may be louder than you think.
But still leaves are falling, and chainsaws are running in the distance. The occasional gunshot echoes over the mountain ridges. All reminders that summer is slowly slipping away for another year.
There will still be warm days to come. Like a lover’s kiss in promise of their return. But first winter will arrive, filled with long dark nights, ice and snow. My girl and I have already begun nesting in anticipation. There are some beautiful days, when the ground is covered in snow, and all is quiet and peaceful.
The holidays  will soon come, when family gathers together to reminisce and to make new memories. But for me, this time now, when the evening air begins to go crisp and my thoughts turn to preparing for winter and sitting around a fire with my girl, this, this is the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment